Tuesday 9 October 2012

Sepia Saturday 147: 13 October 2012



Hello!

Well, we said, "Bon Voyage" to Alan last week, so here am I to step into his shoes for a spell.  I hope you'll cut me a bit of slack on a number of counts.  I have been absent from the Sepia Saturday circuit for some time, as I have been very occupied with cooking and  baking and posting recipes on a new blog. (No self-promotion, I assure you.)
I am new to the procedures for posting the calls for Sepia Saturday, so I hope I don't make any blunders, and I shall try to live up to the skill and erudition of our wandering host.

In any event, I will do my best to make these next few weeks enjoyable and up to par.

The above picture just caught my eye.  I suppose that's because my father was an Army man. As a result, I'm a big fan of military movies, and so anything with a regimental look is bound to draw my attention.  This photo has been borrowed from the Flickr Commons National Library of Ireland (I'm also a bit partial to anything Irish, since my dad was born in the the North of that country.)  I hope you like the image!

In terms of a theme, there are many directions one could go with this. You could deal with the military angle (of course, that's obvious), group photos, uniforms, medals and regalia, dapper caps, or even shiny boots, And well, it looks as if only one of the chaps above hasn't got a moustache, so that's a possibility as well, isn't it?

Other than that, you can choose to veer off this path entirely and do your own thing.  We are not judgmental here at Sepia Saturday; we'll read it all, won't we?

So, get your posts composed, and just post your link below, so we can all have a look to see what you've come up with!


See you on Saturday!

Kat


You can also put your thinking caps on and start pondering how to handle these images coming up in the next few weeks. (Don't they look like fun?)

Sorry folks, I managed to make the rounds to about 2/3 of your posts, but this morning I awoke with a severe pain in my right shoulder blade (repetitive strain from beating muffin-batter, I think) and will not be following up until tomorrow or later with the remainder of you.  I do apologize.

Watch for the next "call" on Wednesday morning!

Kat






Now to the task at hand. See what you can make of the "Sergeants" photo above (and below) ...


Cross your fingers, folks!  Here's my first crack at Mr. Linky.  Hope it works!

30 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

My actual post will not be up until Friday. Hope to see yours up soon as well!

Kat

Alan Burnett said...

Good luck to all Sepia Saturdayers. And a big thank you to Kat for looking after things whilst I am away.

Little Nell said...

Don't forget you've got me too Kat, as I stood in last time Alan was off on his wanderings, and I 'm happy to share some of the admin burden. You can post the prompts though :)

Kat Mortensen said...

That's very good to know, Marilyn, as I've got a family commitment with my mom on Saturday and may not be around all day after all.

Brett Payne said...

Well I think he must have been hiding that moustache in his pocket when you looked, Kat, because I count 9 out of 9. I'm early this time - with plenty of moustaches and Dundrearies - as I know I'm going to run out of time later in the week.

Kat Mortensen said...

Well, he might have been, Brent, or may just be my middle-aged eyes!

courtneycotton01@gmail.com said...

I went with my one and only group military men photo albeit somewhat later than the prompt.

Postcardy said...

I have a postcard from a WWI soldier.

Little Nell said...

There may be a moustache or two in my group photo, but side hats there are a plenty.

Wendy said...

I have a soldier, but whether that's a moustache or cigar may be up for debate. I'm going with moustache.

Peter said...

My grandfather's mustache may be admired as of now :) It seems in those days authority without a mustache didn't exist...

Bob Scotney said...

I've managed to find a beard but most in my groups look smooth.

(I normally +1 my posts on but for some reason or another google wants to +1 another of my posts - can someone else have a try?)

Mike Brubaker said...

My thanks to Kat for a super theme photo. For my contribution, I've got an unusual but on-topic photo story with multi-media too.

DougVernX said...

This photo prompt reminded me so much of a previous Sepia Saturday post I did. Always good to revisit an epic post such as this one. Have a great weekend everyone.

tony said...

Slightly off-topic.Hope its ok?

Kat Mortensen said...

Been researching all day it seems. Hope you enjoy it!

Unknown said...

My group of men are of my hometown National Guard going off to training at the beginning of WWII.
QMM

Bruno Laliberté said...

The odd twist off the prompt with a Montreal flavor, of course!!
:)~
HUGZ

And I've just thought of something I could add. Better get to it now!!
;)~

Queen Bee said...

I'm featuring the military men in my family this week. By the way, I wanted to let Bob Scotney, Postcardy & QMM know I can't comment on their blogs because of an ongoing problem I'm having with Open ID & Yahoo. If you can add Name/URL to your comment options that would be great!

Wibbo said...

Officers and a couple of dogs are this week's offering.

gregory urbano said...

this is an interesting site, still unsure of what you do here, turn existing photos into sepia toned ones?

21 Wits said...

Thank you Kat for helping out! Alan- if you peek in- I hope you're having a great bunch of fun and relaxation! It's good to catch up with Kat again too!

Anonymous said...

My post is about Market Garden, WWII.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hey, Everybody! This one is a special one ... 1918 WWI Oregonians serving in the military.

Can't wait to see what you all came up with.

Hope you are having a wonderful trip, Alan, and thanks, Kat!

Kathy M.

Kathy said...

One of the last today. I started something entirely different, but could never seem to finish. If I get it done, I'll have 2 entries. In any case, I pulled something together on what has turned out to be an extraordinary week for me.

Liz Stratton said...

It is nice to be back. I have missed you all and promise never to make another resolution!

Loved the military theme this week and took a longer photo journey than typical!

Jana Iverson Last said...

Photos and memories from my Dad, Jan Albert Iverson during the time he served in the Army.

Kristin said...

Not at all on theme this week. A new photo of my 2X great Uncle Hugh's family came my way.

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Late as usual but wanted to share a great photo of my husband's grandfather and his military contingent in WWI.

Peter said...

Get well soon, Kat!