Monday 5 October 2015

Sepia Saturday 300 : 10 October 2015


This week, we reach the big 300; a celebration for Sepia Saturday and also the fifth anniversary of the prompt image appearing in a blog, where it instantly grabbed my attention. It comes from a Victorian photo album that was destined to be pulped. It was saved, and posted, with some other examples from the album, on this post in ‘The Age of Uncertainty’ blog, on 10th October 2010.

The photos, and the blog, generated a huge amount of interest at the time and promoted the blog into Wikio’s top thirty, which is how I was alerted to it, and subsequently became interested in blogging. Since then, the blog owner has posted them onto this remarkable Flickr album. I urge all Sepians to visit; you will not be disappointed. I have full permission from the owner to use the photos and I have chosen the one which started the whole thing off.

Some commenters believe that at least one of the subjects is dead, and that this is what is known as a ‘post-mortem’ image. This week the blog challenge is wide open. You may indeed have an example of post-mortem photography in your albums, if not, take any thing you want from the image as a prompt. For once we are not going to give you the ideas. We want you to study the photograph and choose something, no matter how small, that will light that creative spark for your own post; an old photograph, fact, fiction, poetry, prose, family history or social history. Whatever you come up with, post your posts on, or around, Saturday 10th October, then add your link and leave a comment below. A little bit different? I thought so; enjoy SS.300.

Marilyn (Little Nell)


And here is a reminder of the theme image for Sepia Saturday 301. And don't forget, you can see all the theme image prompts for the rest of 2015 by following THIS LINK



21 comments:

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

This was tough. It took me a while to realize it was a death photo...the $64,000 question is who's dead and who's alive? I'm so early because I'm leaving soon on a long trip and am trying to get ahead a few weeds. Can't wait to see what people come up with this week.

Jofeath said...

Also posting early because I'm away, but it only for a few days. Happy Halloween!

ScotSue said...

What a bizarre photograph - I considered death, boots, and shawls, but in the end went for the very obvious with "Threesomes", with a mixture of photographs I have not featured before, and others that have already appeared in posts.

DougVernX said...

I have an appropriate trio.

Kristin said...

No family photos including the dear departed. Twenty short items on my missing Sepia Saturday posts, bringing my total for the past 100 Saturdays to 100%.

Wendy said...

Ugly People

Mike Brubaker said...

Not quite on theme but something special for Sepia Saturday 300.

Postcardy said...

I have a couple of photos of a boy, one of which pictures him between a man and a woman.

La Nightingail said...

Not dead, just off in Neverland for a while!

Little Nell said...

Frightened faces and acts of courage.

Martin said...

Just getting back into the swing of blogging, after a long lay-off. Hope I haven't lost the knack!

Anonymous said...

Unidentified people

Éire Historian said...

Thanks for the inspiration image. I have tweaked it for my post which is entitled 'The Heavenly faces of Earthly Sprites'. Happy 300th post! Cheers, Jennifer

L. D. said...

I couldn't miss being in on the 300th. Celebrations to be had for the continue life of the blog.

Barbara Rogers said...

Two chapters that have almost no link to the meme, but I do honor the hard work and enjoyable reading of 300 postings of Sepia Saturday!

Barbara said...

I’m so sorry I’ve not had time to prepare a post this week, but I wanted to congratulate you on the 300th anniversary. I’m hoping to find time to read all the posts over the next few days

Alan Burnett said...

I am away from home but I couldn't miss SS300. Let us remember them - whoever they are : it is what Sepia Saturday is all about.

Tattered and Lost said...

A family portrait including their house.

Cheers Alan. And thanks to you and Kat for starting this.

Boobook said...

Another discarded studio portrait.

Rosie said...

I have been away from SepiaSaturday for awhile, been moving around, getting settled, travelling, visiting relatives. I am retiring next month, so, should have more time to contribute to SepiaSaturday!!!

Nancy said...

I posted late last night but forgot to link until just now. Congrats on 300!